Friday Roundup: Fairfield Edges Utah, High Point Downs VMI

Photo Courtesy of Fairfield Athletics                                                                                                                

There were just two games on the docket today in DI, and at least one of them was exciting from start to finish. In today’s action, Fairfield was able to get a home win against Utah in an overtime thriller, while High Point scorched VMI as expected. 

High Point 18, VMI 9

This one was all High Point from the opening whistle as the Panther dominated in this one. High Point started the game off on a four goal run before VMI finally found the back of the net with 5:55 in the first quarter. High Point led 6-1 heading into the second quarter and just continued to build on that led, going up 11-2 at the half. VMI started the third pretty good as they scored first before High Point went on a 2-goal run. VMI again found the back of the net with a 2-goal run midway through the third, making it a13-5 High Point lead. The Panthers continued to trample the Keydets once again, scoring four straight to help give them a 17-6 lead heading into the fourth. In the fourth VMI scored three goals to High Point’s one, but that wouldn’t do much as the Panthers walked away with the blowout win to start SoCon play. 

High Point was led by Asher Nolting and Chris Young on the offensive end. Nolting tallied 6 points (5G,1A), while Young had 4 points (3G,1A). Davis Sampere went 17-19 at the faceoff dot for the Panther as one of four guys they used at the dot. In cage, Tim Troutner Jr. made 8 saves, while Griffin Basile also saw some action, making 4 saves. 

The Keydets were led by John Daniel who tallied 3 points (2G,1A). Josh Bass and Donald Propper scored two goals each. As one of five guys the Keydets used at the faceoff dot, Eric Lane went 1-12. In cage for the Keydets, Benjamin Stump made 3 saves and Bill Osteen made 5 saves. 

Box Score

Fairfield 10, Utah 9 – Overtime 

It was a thriller as the Fairfield Stags edged the Utah Utes in overtime off of a Travis Ford step-down shot. This one was pretty close all game long. After Fairfield striked first Utah answered with three straight to go up 3-1 at the end of the first. The second quarter was a similar story as Utah took a 5-2 lead heading into the half. Things started to really heat up in the third quarter as both squads went back and forth, trading 2-goal runs. A late Fairfield goal from Jack Brennan goal made it a one-goal 7-6 Utah lead heading into the fourth. The Utes and Stags went back-and -forth in the fourth quarter, trading goal from early on. After a Jake Cantlon goal to give Utah the 9-8 lead with 5:34 in the fourth Fairfield answered a few minutes later. Dylan Beckwith tied things all up at 9 with 3:14 in the fourth. Some huge saves and defensive stands on both ends would help force the overtime period. Travis Ford netted the game winner for the Stags in overtime to take down the Utes. 

Fairfield was led by Dylan Beckwith as he tallied 5 points (4G,1A) in the win. Taylor Strough and Jack Brennan also contributed with 2 goals each. James Corasaniti made 13 saves in cage and Frankie Labetti went 14-18 at the faceoff dot for the Stags. 

Utah was led by Jimmy Perkins and Jake Canltlon who each tallied 3 points (2G,1A). Aaron Fejeldsted had 3 points (1G,2A) as well. In cage for the Utes, Liam Donnelly made 16 saves. At the faceoff dot for  Utah, Seth Neeleman went 5-17.

Box Score




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s