Tuesday Notebook: Notre Dame Tops Michigan, Hobart Burns Colgate, Harvard Takes Down Boston U. in Triple OT

Photo Courtesy of Harvard Athletics

What a day! It was an exciting Tuesday of college lacrosse action with a lot of really good games played. Of course the game of the day was Michigan-Notre Dame, but the night-cap was also exciting as Holy Cross topped Brown in double overtime and Harvard took down Boston U. in triple overtime. Quinnipiac and Hartford also went into overtime earlier in the day as well. 

Notre Dame 12, Michigan 9

The Irish got a good road win in what was a great back-and-forth battle. It was a big performance late in the second half that sealed the deal for Notre Dame in the win. Clay Bryce got the first goal of the game for Michigan and Notre Dame answered back with a a 3-goal run midway though the first. A Michigan goal to end the first would cut the Notre Dame lead to 3-2 heading into the second. It was a very back-and-forth second quarter with both teams trading goals for the whole quarter. Notre Dame was able to get two late goals in the last-minute of the second to take a 7-4 lead into the half. Michigan got the second half started with two man-up goals to make it a one-goal game. After Notre Dame answered with a Bryan Costabile goal, Michigan tied things up at 8. With one second on the clock Notre Dame score to take a 9-8 lead heading into the fourth. That was the start of a 4-goal run that sealed this for the Irish. Michigan found the back of net late in the game, but they couldn’t create a comeback as Notre Dame walked away 12-9 victors. 

Alex Buckanavage led Michigan in this one with 5 points (3G/2A). Bryce Clay also had 3 goals as well. Tommy Heidt did his thing in cage, making 13 saves. 

Notre Dame was led by Brendan Gleasson who tallied 3 points (2G/1A). Wheaton Jackoboice had 3 points (1G/2A) as well. Matt Schmidt made 3 saves in cage for the Irish. Notre Dame won the faceoff battle 20-4 with Charles Leonard going 20-24. 

Box Score

St. John’s 15, Dartmouth 8

While the Big Green fought hard and were able to keep it close than expected for most of the game it still felt as if t. John’s just had more energy the whole game. Dartmouth was able to keep it close early on, trailing 4-3 at the end of the first. A St. John’s offensive explosion in the second quarter would help the Red Storm to a 7-4 halftime lead and give them a lot of momentum. Dartmouth would again answer, starting the third with a 2-goal run to make it a one-goal game. A 5-goal run from midway though the third until early in the fourth would effectively end this one. While Dartmouth scored twice in the fourth, St. John’s finished the game off with a 3-goal run down the stretch to secure the 15-8 win. 

Ben Martin led Dartmouth with 4 points (2G/2A), while Matt Paul and Harlan Smart also had 2 goals. In cage, Daniel Hincks saw the most time, making 3 saves. George Christopher made 1 save and Ale Burnley also saw some time. 

The Red Storm were led by Mike Madsen with 7 points (2G/5A). Declan Smartwood also had 5 points (4G/1A) and Jonathan Huber scored 4 goals. Brody Agres had himself a day, making 19 saves in goal for St. John’s. 

Box Score

Quinnipiac 17, Hartford 16 – OT

The Bobcats have now won four straight as they took down the Hartford Hawks in a home overtime victory. It was a tight one all the way through, and certainly a game of runs. After Hartford started the scoring off early the Bobcats went on a 3-goal run, courtesy of Foster Cuomo who scored all three. Hartford then went on a two and three goal run with Quinnipiac scoring just one in between each run. Trailing 7-5 early in the second, Quinnipiac exploded. A 6-goal run helped them take the lead 11-8 heading into the half. Hartford pretty much owned the third, even though Quinnipiac was able to find some success, taking a 14-12 lead heading into the fourth. Hartford was able tie things up at 15 before taking the lead. Quinnipiac returned the favor and tied things up late in the game to force overtime. Jake Tomsik led them into overtime and he was going to lead them out of it as well. Tomsik scored the game winner to secure the Bobcat’s win. 

Alex Borja led Hartford with 6 goals while Dylan Jinks tallied 3 points (2G/1A) in the win. In goal for the Hawks was Cam Logan, making 13 saves. 

For Quinnipiac, Foster Cuomo led the way with 10 points (7G/3A). Mike Fletcher tallied 9 points (5G/4A) in the win as well. In cage, Nick DiMuccio made 18 saves for the Bobcats in the win. 

Box Score

Hobart 12, Colgate 6

Colgate hosted Hobart in what was the 1,000th game in Colgate lacrosse history. This one did not go their way, however. The Statesman offense came alive in the second half and burned the Raiders. It was a very slow start with it being a 3-2 Hobart lead at the end of the third. It was a 6-goal run from late in the first through the midway point of the third that helped Hobart get out and really take over this game. Trailing 10-3 at the end of the third, Colgate was able to get a little something in the fourth, but it just wasn’t enough to come back and Hobart walked away victorious. 

Marshall Terres led Colgate with 3 goals, while Griffin Brown also tallied 2 points (1G/1A) in the game. Connor Mullen made 10 saves in cage for the Raiders. 

Hobart was led by Eric Holden with 4 goals and Derrek Madonna who scored 3 goals in the win. In cage for the Statesmen, Sam Lucchesi made 11 saves in the win. 

Box Score

Cornell 18, St. Bonaventure 3

This one was expected to be a blowout, and it was. The Big Red walked allover the Bonnies all game long. The offensive onslaught started early as Cornell started the game scoring six straight. The Bonnies finally found the back of the net with 6:01 left in the first. After another big Cornell run spanning almost two whole quarter, St. Bonaventure got their second of the day. Cornell took a 13-2 halftime lead and pulled the dogs off in the second half. St. Bonaventure got their third of the day with 6:02 in the fourth. Cornell walked away with an easy victory in this one. 

Sean Westley led St. Bonaventure with 3 points (1G/2A), while John Killcommons and Austin Blumbergs each scored once. Brett Dobson made 9 saves and Ben Mazur made 6 as they split time in cage. 

Cornell was led by John Piatelli who tallied 5 points (4G/1A), while Clarke Petterson had 4 points (3G/1A). Jeff Teat had 4 assist in this one. Chayse Ierlan got the start in cage, making 1 save. Caelahn Bullen also saw time and made 5 saves. Teddy Strzetelski and Parker Hederer also got minutes in between the pipes. 

Box Score

Fairfield 15, NJIT 5

The Stags went on the road and dominated the Highlanders in this one. Fairfield started hot and started early, taking a 7-0 run in the first quarter. While NJIT was able to get two goals in the second, Fairfield held all the momentum and still dominated. After taking an 11-2 lead into the half Fairfield started to call the dogs off in the second half. NJIT score twice in the third and once in the fourth to get to 5. Fairfield was the much better team as they walked away with the 15-5 dominating victory. 

NJIT was led by Ryan Darrow with 3 goals and Vincent D’Agostino who scored 2 goals in the game. Alexander Hunt made 18 saves in goal for the Highlanders. 

Dylan Beckwith tallied 7 points (3G/4A) to lead Fairfield in the win. Jack Brennan tallied 5 points (3G/2A) as well. James Corasaniti made 10 saves in win, while Peter Jones also saw some time in cage as well.

Box Score

Providence 14, UMass Lowell 4

It was a dominating victory for the Friars as they took down the River Hawks on the road. Providence started on a 3-goal run before UMass Lowell got their first of the day. After that it was all Providence, going on a 7-goal run for the first of the first half and taking a 10-1 lead. UMass Lowell scored their second goal of the day early in the third and their third goal late in the third. Providence was still scoring a bit and the gap was just too large. The Friars were able to walk away with the blowout win over the River Hawks. 

Jake Lining had 1 goal and 1 assist for the River Hawks. Williams Russo, Cory Highfield, and Harry Morrill all scored as well. Dan Cozzi dished out 3 assist to contribute as well. Grant Lardieri made 4 saves in cage and Matt Murakami made 5 saves as they split time in goal. 

Brendan Kearns had 4 points (2G/2A) and Nick Hatzipetrakos tallied 4 points (3G/1A) to lead the Friars. In cage Tate Boyce made 7 saves, while Toby Burgdorf also saw time, making 2 saves.

Box Score

Holy Cross 11, Brown 10 – 2OT

The Crusaders went on the road and defeated the Brown Bears for the first time in program history. This one wasn’t without chaos as two overtimes were needed to decide a winner. It was a tight one pretty much the whole way. After the first it was just a 3-2 Brown lead. Holy Cross was able to break away in the second quarter, going on a 4-goal run to end the half with a 7-4 lead. Brown wouldn’t fold that easy as they were able to comeback in the third and make cut the Crusaders lead to 8-7 heading into the fourth. After a Holy Cross goal to start the fourth Brown went on a 3-goal run to take the 10-9 lead. With just a minute left Justin Lynskey tied it up at 10 to force the overtime. A second overtime would be needed as Drew Babiak scored the game winning goal late in the 2OT period. 

Brown was led by Darian Cook with 5 points (3G/2A) and Ryan Aughavin who also tallied 5 points (4G/1A). Luke McCaleb also had 4 points (3G/1A) on the day. Phil Goss was stellar in cage, making 14 saves including many crucial one’s down the stretch and in overtime. 

Holy Cross was led by Sean Mullaney with 5 points (4G/1A). Drew Babiak had 4 points (3G/1A) and Justin Lynskey tallied 4 points (1G/3A). In cage, Jonathan Tesoro made 5 saves. 

Box Score

Harvard 12, Boston U. 11 – 3OT

For the second year in a row Harvard tops Boston U. in a comeback win that needed overtime to settle it. In this case we saw three overtime periods before a winner was crowned. It was a slow start as the Terrier led the Crimson 2-1 at the end of the first. Harvard took the lead midway through the second before the Terrier started getting really hot. Holding a narrow 5-4 lead heading into the half, the Terriers came out with more energy then they went in with. The Terrier exploded in the third, scoring four straight to take a 9-4 lead. Harvard came all the way back from late in the third until taking the 10-9 lead late in the fourth. The Crimson were on fire, scoring at will, winning every faceoff, and playing great defense. The Terriers got a ton of penalties during that stretch, and credit the Crimson for capitalizing.

James Burr tied things back up with a Boston U. goal in the last-minute of regulation. Charlie Olmert ran straight through the Boston U. defense and gave the Crimson the lead back. It was a Chris Gray diving goal that tied things up at 11 and sent the game to overtime. While we saw some very sloppy play in all three overtime periods, Harvard seemed to dominate possession, but both sides made some bad turnovers that could have costed them the game at any point. Nigel Andrews ran right into the middle of the field and scored the game winner for Harvard as they claim Boston yet again. 

Chris Gray led Boston U. with 6 points (4G/2A), while James Burr had 3 points (2G/1A) as well. Joe McSorley made 12 saves in cage for the Terriers. 

Harvard was led by Myles Hamm with 4 points (3G/1A). Kyle Salvatore, Charlie Olmert, and Nigel Andrews all had 3 points as well. Kyle Mullin made 19 saves in cage for the Crimson. 

Box Score


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s