Second Half Surge Leads UMBC Past Marist in a Physical Battle

Photo Courtesy of UMBC Athletics                                                                                                                    

The UMBC Retrievers run continues as they took down the Marist Red Foxes in the play-in game of the NCAA tournament. While it was very much a back-and-forth battle through most of the game, a five-goal run to start the second half really pushed the Retrievers ahead and helped them secure the win. 

UMBC was led by Trevor Patschorke and Steven Zichelli who each had 4 points (3G,1A) in the win. Tommy Linger made 9 saves in goal to help anchor an impressive defensive unit. 

For Marist, they were led by Jamison Embury and Jake Weinman who each had 3 points (2G,1A). JoJo Pirreca also had 2 goals as well. In cage, Jake Macgregor made 11 saves to help lead the defense. 

This one was a physical back-and-forth battle with a lot of play in the middle of the field, and it got going early on in the game. The scoring started pretty quick with Marist go up 2-0 early in the first with Evan Gagne scoring the first goal of the NCAA tournament.

UMBC’s offense got going midway though the first as they were able to tie things up at 2 all. Marist was able to answer very quickly and take back the lead 3-2. Late in first quarter is where things really started to heat up for both sides, but especially for the Red Foxes. 

After UMBC tying things back up late in first, Marist was able to take the 4-3 lead heading into the second period after a goal from JoJo Pirreca in the dying seconds of the first quarter. 

Marist was able to take the lead 6-5 heading into the half after a very back-and-forth second period that saw each team continuously answer the other. Both defenses stepped up big time in the second with both goalies really stepping up and shutting down some fantastic looks. 

While both teams remained very physical, UMBC’s offense found their stride very quickly in the third quarter, scoring just seconds in. The Retrievers took their first lead of the game midway though the third after a fantastic sequence of ball movement led to a Brett McIntyre goal right on the crease. 

Hefty defensive play from both sides resumed through the middle of the third as both sides weren’t allowing much of anything past them. The Retrievers finally got the scoring going again near the end of the third, pushing their lead to 8-6. UMBC took a 9-6 lead into the fourth after a Michael Zichelli goal with just seconds left in the quarter. 

The Retrievers continued to excel on both ends of the field for most of the fourth quarter. After stretching their run to five goals, the Retrievers held the biggest lead of the game at 11-6 midway though the fourth.

Marist finally got things going again with their first goal of the second half coming at the seven minute mark of the fourth quarter. The Red Foxes scored again just seconds later off of the faceoff win to gain back a ton of momentum that had looked to be lost for mush of the half. The Retrievers answered pretty quickly with two goals of their own to push the lead back out to 13-8 late in the game. 

The Retrievers defense held it’s own through the end of the fourth, helping to secure the win. A UMBC goal on an open net with two minutes left in game was just the cherry on top as the Retrievers earn the 14-8 win.

UMBC will move onto the first round of the NCAA tournament and face number one overall seed Penn State. That game will be at noon (ET) on Sunday, May 12th and viewable on ESPNU.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s