MLL Gameday Recap: Barrage Get First Win, Chesapeake Moves to 3-0

(Photo Courtesy of Major League Lacrosse)

In a battle between teams searching for their first win of the season, the Philadelphia Barrage defeated the Connecticut Hammerheads, 14-10, utilizing a big second-half run to help secure their first win of the season. 

The Barrage came out of the gate hot, taking an early 3-0 lead after two goals from Mark Matthews and one from Shayne Jackson. Connecticut finally started to find their footing late in the first, with Ryan McNamara getting them on the board first. Back-to-back goals from Will Sands and Noah Rak, who scored right off of the faceoff, cut the Philadelphia lead to one-goal at the end of the first and another Will Sands goal seconds into the second tied things up at 4. 

Despite the Hammerheads gaining some energy from late in the second through the early part of the third, the Barrage always had an answer, and that momentum eventually fully flipped in Philadelphia’s favor. After a Noah Rak goal off the opening faceoff of the second half and a Dan Lomas goal seconds later pushed the Hammerheads out front, 8-7, they went flat. The Barrage popped off for six straight goals and held Connecticut scoreless for nearly 20 minutes, effectively putting this one in the bag. 

Mark Matthews seemed unstoppable in the contest, leading the Barrage with six points (4G/2A). Brendan Sunday wasn’t far behind, tallying five points (4G/1A) in the victory. 

Sean Sconne was a bright spot for Connecticut, again, making 16 saves in the loss. At the faceoff dot, Philadelphia’s Alex Woodall and Connecticut’s Noah Rak went to war,  as Woodall went 14-for-26 (53.8%) and Rak went 13-for-24 (54%).  

Chesapeake Bayhawks 15, Boston Cannons 13

In a game that can only be described as a two-hour highlight reel, the Chesapeake Bayhawks defeated the Boston Cannons by a score of 15-13. With the win, the Bayhawks move to 3-0 on the season. 

Challen Rogers got the scoring started for Boston with a behind-the-back shot early on in the contest. Bryce Wasserman followed that up with one of his signature righty shots from X, pushing the Cannons’ lead to 2-0. Chesapeake answered in a hueg way, rattling off nine consecutuve goals, including two from Andrew Kew, from 10:25 in the first through 4:36 in the second to take a 9-2 lead. Boston finally woke up again after a Mark Cockerton goal, which sparked a five-goal run to end the half and cut the Chesapeke lead to 9-7. 

While things were certainly much tighter in the second half, Cheseapake certainly held an upper hand – even if the game seemed much closer than the score was at times. Lyle Thompson got Chesapeake rolling quick out of the gates in the second half, scoring two straight early on. The reigning MVP scored the final goal of the quarter, as well. Reilly O’Connor and Mark Cockerton scored the only two goals in the third for Boston, as the Bayahwks pushed their lead out to 14-9 in the third. Nate Solomon scored the lone Bayhawk goal in the fourth, while Bryan Cole scored twice for Boston in the final quarter, but it wouldn’t be enough as Chesapeake held on for the win. 

Lyle Thompson led the way for Chesapake, tallying five points (4G/1A). Andrew Kew also recorded a hat trick and an assist in the victory. Bryce Wasserman netted a hat trick for Boston to led their offensive effort. 

Both goalies played out of their minds in this contest. Chesapake’s Brian Phipps recorded 13 saves and Boston’s Nick Marrocco had 14 saves. Boston’s Kevin Reisman went 15-for-23 (65%) at the faceoff dot. 




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s