Midweek Notebook: Mount St. Mary’s Earns First NEC Win, Marquette Tops St. John’s in OT

(Photo Courtesy of Mount St. Mary’s Athletics)

The Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers earned their first NEC win of the season on Wednesday afternoon, topping Sacred Heart 14-12.

Dylan Furnback had a career-high 21-save performance, which included two in the final minute of the contest to keep the Pioneers’ offense at bay and halt any full comeback. The senior made 13 of his 21 saves in the first half where the Mountaineers held Sacred Heart to just five goals and a scoreless first quarter.

Luke Frankeny had three goals and an assist for four points in the win while Jake Krieger had a hat trick.

Logan Liljeberg (2G/3A) and Drew Edwards (4G/1A) led Sacred Heart with five points apiece. Tristian Dowd went 20-for-30 at the faceoff dot.

After taking a 5-0 first-quarter lead, Mount St. Mary’s saw Sacred Heart outscore them 10-5 in the second and third quarters alone to cut their lead to 6-5 at the half and tie things up at 10 heading into the final period of play.

A Jake Krieger goal early in the fourth sparked a three-goal Mountaineers’ run to push their lead back out to 13-10. And while Aidan Burke and Drew Edwards each found the back of the net in the final 5:15, Furnback and the Mount St. Mary’s defense held the Pioneers down the stretch. Noah Daniels put in the last goal of the contest on a power play (Man-up) for the Mountaineers to get them to 14.

Marquette 9, St. John’s 8

With 34 seconds left in the overtime period, Griffin Fleming put in the game-winner off a feed from Connor McClelland to push the Golden Eagles past the Red Storm, 9-8, for their first Big East win of the season.

In what was a back-and-forth contest from the opening faceoff to the final goal in overtime, neither ever gained more than a two-goal advantage. Marquette initially took a 3-1 lead early in the first off a three-goal run but St. John’s quickly answered and tied it at 3 to end the first quarter. Marquette outscored St. John’s to take a 5-4 lead at the half.

Down 8-7 following two straight from Marquette midway through the fourth, Mike Madsen cashed in on a feed from Connor Kalmus to force the overtime.

Marquette’s three-goal run in the first and St. John’s three-goal run from the 7:58 mark in the third through the 12:58 mark in the fourth were the largest runs of the game.

Devon Cowan led the way for the Golden Eagles with a three goals and an assist for four points. Thomas Washington went 14-for-19 at the faceoff dot and Sean Richard made 12 saves.

Mike and Joe Madsen and Jonathan Huber each had two goals for St. John’s while Brody Agres made 19 saves in cage.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s