Patriot League Quarterfinals: Lindsey Leads Loyola Past Bucknell, Lehigh Turns in Complete Performance Against Navy

(Photo Courtesy of Loyola Athletics)

Davis Lindsey got separation down the left side alley and found Aidan Olmstead on the backside pipe. Just over a minute later, Lindsey took it from behind and hit Adam Poitras for a one-timer on the doorstep. Less than a minute after that score, he dodged down the left side once-more and found Dan Wigley on the backside.

Those three goals helped spell victory for the Loyola Greyhounds as they defeated the Bucknell Bison 11-7 to advance to the Patriot League semifinals, where they will play Army West Point on Friday.

Lindsey was involved on more than half of the Greyhounds’ scores on Tuesday afternoon, ending the day with six points (2G/4A). Kevin Lindley, Evan James, and Adam Poitras all has identical two-goal, one assist stat lines. Dan Wigley had two goals as well.

The majority of that offense came in the final 17:31 of the game. An Evan James score late in the third quarter yielded the second tie of the frame (fifth of the game) and helped make it a 7-7 contest heading into the fourth quarter. Olmstead’s score off the Lindsey feed early in the fourth gave the Greyhounds their first lead of the game and they never gave it back, blanking the Bison in the fourth quarter while putting in three more of their own to seal the deal.

Bailey Savio went 6-for-9 (66%) at the faceoff dot in the second half and Sam Shafer also made seven of his 13 saves during those final two periods. Additionally, Greyhounds caused four of the Bison’s six second-half turnovers. It was that holistic effort down the stretch which allowed Loyola to dominated possession and grab control of the pace of the game, and ultimately pull out the win.

Cam Wyers led that defensive effort out in front of the cage with six ground balls and two caused turnovers. Both of those CTs came on consecutive Bucknell possessions as the midway point of the third quarter was approaching, and helped give that unit a much-needed breath of energy. Loyola was without SSDM Payton Rezanka, who’s presence was notable on that rope unit.

Freshman Rich O’Halloran started the game in cage for the Bison and made nine saves with a 64% save percentage before exiting the game with an injury at the 1:49 mark of the second quarter. Senior Jack Van Slyke came in to replace O’Halloran and has himself a solid day as well, stopping seven shots and posting a 53% save percentage in the near 32 minutes of action that he saw.

On top of that success in cage, the Bison caused five of nine Loyola turnovers through the first three quarters of play with LSM Frankie Higgins (2GB/3CT) leading the way. Bucknell was able to turn those defensive stops into goals. That included both of their third quarter scores, which came in transition.

Van Slyke made four saves, including a big transition stop early, in the fourth quarter and the Bucknell offense also got off eight shots in those final 15 minutes of play. But as the Greyhounds heated up, the Bison couldn’t keep up with the pace and the Loyola offense was able flip the script and did much of what the Bucknell offense had to them in the first half – finding back door looks, getting inside, and attacking favorable matchups.

Bucknell had seven different goal-scorers. Dutch Furlong was the only Bison player who had one goal and one assists.

Spence’s 13 Saves Help Lehigh Past Navy

The Lehigh Mountain Hawks scored the first punch on Tuesday night and never let up as they turned in a complete performance to get past Navy, 14-8, and advance to the Patriot League semifinals and earn a rematch with Boston U. on Friday night.

Tommy Schelling put up eight points off four goals and four assists to lead the way on the offensive end while James Spence anchored the Mountain Hawks’ defense with 13 saves. Mike Sisselberger went 15-for-23 (65%) at the faceoff dot.

Additionally, Christian Mule’ (2G/2A) was one of four players with two goals, and along with Schelling, one of seven different goal-scorers for the Mountain Hawks. Michael Hagenberger replaced Teddy Leggett, who did not play on Tuesday, at close and had a monster game with four caused turnovers and three ground balls.

Navy was able to punch back, staying within two or three goals for much of the first 20-plus minutes of play, but they were never able to get tie things up or get the lead. A Man-up goal from Jack Sweeney with 9:24 in the third made it a three-goal, 9-6, game and that was the last time the Midshipmen came within serious striking distance.

Lehigh followed that up with a five-goal run, which included three goals from Schelling, that essentially put the game out of reach, 14-6, with just over six minutes of play. Navy got off 10 shots during that same time frame, but was never able to convert as six of those shots sailed wide and four were stopped by Spence.

That late-game run was the second massive run of the game for the Mountain Hawks as they also opened up the game with four consecutive scores, which put all the momentum on their side early and forced the Midshipmen to be playing catchup nearly all game.

Patrick Skalniak had a hat trick and dished out one assist to lead the Midshipmen’s offense, which saw five different players find the back of the net. Pat Ryan made 10 saves in cage.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s