Patriot League Championship: Boston U. Takes Down Army to Capture First Conference Title

(Photo Courtesy of Boston U. Athletics)

Last Friday night, the Boston U. Terriers walked off Nickerson Field with defeat on their faces after dropping their first and only Patriot League contest of the season to Army West Point, falling victim to a 10-point outing from Brendan Nichtern.

Fast forward one week and two days, and the Terriers are Patriot League Champions for the first time in program history, having avenged that loss on their home turf with a 14-10 victory over the Black Knights in which they led wire-to-wire.

A likely Tewaaraton finalist, Nichtern still put up six points off two goals and four assists. Reese Burek also scored five goals. But at the end of the day, the Black Knights weren’t able to secure the victory.

Louis Perfetto found Timmy Ley for the first goal of the game, and from then on, it was Boston U.’s game to lose. The Terriers took a 3-1 lead into second quarter and a 7-5 lead into the half as they were able to stay ahead of the Black Knights all game, despite the opposition’s best effort to get in front.

A pair of goals from Reese Burek midway through the third quarter gave Army a jolt of energy, cutting the Terriers’ lead to 8-7. However, they wouldn’t get any closer. Boston U. answered with a four-goal run to close out the frame and head into the final 15 minutes with a 12-7 advantage.

During that run, the Terriers saw four different goal-scorers as their offensive depth was a highlight of the victory. Timmy Ley (4G/1A) and Louis Perfetto (2G/2A) led the way with five and four points on the day, but Boston U. waltzed off the field with seven different players having found the back of the net.

Matt Hillburn, Tommy Bourque, and James Corcoran each scored during that game-changing third quarter run and ended the day with two goals.

Anchored by a 15-save performance from Matt Garber and led by out in front by a monster day from Roy Meyer (6CT/7GB), the Terriers defense held Army off the board in the final 9:21 of the contest following a Danny Kielbasa scored that made it a three-goal game.

In those final minutes, Boston U. caused four turnovers and held Army to a 1-of-5 mark in the clearing game. The Terriers held Army to a 15-of-22 mark in clearing for the entirety of the contest.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s