Tuesday Recap: Brown Holds Off Villanova Second-Half Comeback, Duke Tops High Point

A risky penalty on the ride from Ryan Aughavin led to a late extra man opportunity for Villanova which they came up successful on via a Brett Baskin score to make it a one-goal, 15-14, game with 27 seconds remaining. Justin Coppola won the ensuing faceoff and wound up for a shot that sailed wide. J.P. Basile had a shot sail wide just six seconds later.

Mile Corrado called a timeout following that Basile shot in hopes of drawing up an overtime-forcing goal with just 10 seconds remaining in regulation. A Luke Keating turnover was all they could get as the home Brown Bears walked away victors, despite the Wildcats ending the contest on a six-goal run that dated back to late in the third quarter to comeback from down six and almost force extra lacrosse.

Brown led from start to finish and for much of the game seemed to have everything in hand. After an exciting opening period where they got up 4-3, the Bears went on an absolute tear as they outscored the Wildcats 11-6 in the second and third quarters. That includes a 7-3 second period where Brown scored five straight to get up 9-4 and help them take an 11-6 lead at the half.

Devon McLane (4G/5A) led the Bears with nine points on the night. Eight of his points came during the second and third periods of play and three came during the Bears’ five-goal run in the second quarter as he scored one goal and assisted on two others. That includes a highlight-reel circus shot while falling down after getting hit from behind in transition.

Brian Antonelli had five goals and one assist on the day with two of his goals coming during that run in the middle of the second.

Matt Gunty went 15-for-31 (48%) at the dot. He went 8-for-10 (80%) during the second quarter helping Brown dominate and turn the game into essentially make-it-take-it during that stretch. Justin Coppola regathered himself in the second half, going 10-for-14 in the final two periods (6-6 in fourth quarter) to flip the script and turn the tide in favor of Villanova.

Brett Baskin led the Wildcats with eight points off six goals and two assists. Four of those points came during Villanova’s game-ending run as he scored twice and assisted on two other goals. Luke Keating had two goals and four assists for six points on the day.

Brown committed 22 turnovers (11 caused) to Villanova’s 20 (10 caused). 11 of those turnovers from the Bears came in the second half of play. They also went 19-of-24 in the clearing game while Villanova went 17-of-21.

Connor Theriault made 12 saves for Brown while Will Vitton had an identical day for Villanova.

Duke Tops High Point, 18-14

Led by a big performances from Sean Lulley (5G/3A) and Nakeie Montgomery (5G), the Duke Blue Devils took down the High Point Panthers 18-14 in a contest that saw six ties and four lead changes.

Lulley, who started at the X attack spot, put up three of his goals and one assist during the third quarter where the Blue Devils outscored the Panthers 6-2 to really push ahead after leading just 9-8 at the half. Montgomery, who often drew and beat the short-stick matchup, had one goal during that third period and had three goals in total in the second half of play.

High Point started strong, getting out to a 3-0 lead with two consecutive goals from Asher Nolting and one from Nick Rizzo. The Panthers then went on two separate three-goal runs in the second quarter to help stay right on the Blue Devils’ heels and make it a one-goal game at the half.

Jack Sawyer exploded during that strong second quarter, scoring three goals. He ended with four goals and one assist for five points while Asher Nolting tallied eight points off three goals and five assists.

Parker Green anchored the Panthers defense with 14 saves and on the other end Mike Adler made 11 saves for Duke. At the faceoff dot, the Blue Devils dominated with Jake Naso going 22-for-32 (68%). Duke went an overall 23-for-35 as a team and 10-for-16 in the second half alone.

Michigan Overcomes Slow Start to Get Past Marquette

Kevin Conry and the Michigan Wolverines move to 6-0 on the season after defeating the Marquette Golden Eagles 12-10 in their first road contest of the season.

Marquette came out of the gate hot, getting up 3-0 within the first four minutes of the game thanks to three quick goals from Russell Melendez, Chris Kirschner, and a pole goal from Logan Kreinz off the faceoff sequence. Michael Cosgrove tallied the Wolverines’ only goal of the quarter.

After their slow start, which was in part enhanced by a 1-for-4 mark at the faceoff dot and six turnovers and a shot clock violation on the opening possession, the Wolverines shook off the rust and went to work. Michigan for seven goals in the second quarter, which included a four-goal run, to take an 8-6 lead at the half.

While Marquette was able to tie it up at 8-8 with 12:15 remaining in the third and 9-9 with eight minute remaining, the Wolverines never trailed again after taking the lead (6-5) at the 5:03 mark in the second quarter. Michigan led 12-9 at the end of the third and were held scoreless in the final period of play as Marquette’s Bobby O’Grady got the lone goal of the period with just under four minutes remaining.

Michael Boehm (3G/3A) and Josh Zawada (2G/4A) each tallied six points to lead the Wolverines. Nick Rowlett went 13-for-21 (61%) at the dot, recovering strong after the porous start. Shane Carr made nine saves in cage.

Nolan Rappis led Marquette with four points off three goals and an assist. Michael Allieri made 15 saves in a strong performance against an offense for Michigan that took 38 shots with 26 coming on cage.

Bryant Rebuts Bellarmine to Get Back in The Win Column

The Bryant Bulldogs put an end to their two-game losing skid on Tuesday afternoon with a 16-12 victory over the Bellarmine Knights.

Marc O’Rouke came up big for the Bulldogs with a game-high seven points (5G/2A) to lead the way on offense. Bennett Abladian also had five goals and an assist for six points on the day. Three of Abladian’s goals came in the second half, including a tally with 1:45 remaining that effectively put this one to bed. O’Rouke tallied his final goal of the day less than a minute later to put some icing on the cake.

After an offensive fire fest of a first quarter that saw the two squads combine for 29 shots and the Bulldogs get up 9-6, in part due to a quarter-ending, five-goal run that included a natural hat trick from O’Rourke, the rest of the game was much more dominated by defense. Bryant outscored Bellarmine 7-6 in the final three periods of play.

Luke Caracciolo made 15 saves to anchor the Bryant defense and help stave off the Knights offensive attack, which put 28 of its 37 shots on cage. The Bulldogs also held Bellarmine to 18-of-23 in the clearing game and caused 11 of the Knights’ 17 turnovers.

A 14-for-24 (58%) performance at the faceoff dot from Cole Messick and nine-save day from Dante Batista, who played the final three quarters of play in cage after JC Higginbotham was pulled, helped keep the Knights right on the Bulldogs’ tail.

Kyle Playsted had three goals and three assists for six points to lead the Bellarmine offense.

Cornell Pushes Past Hobart in Rivalry Contest

The Cornell Big Red and Hobart Statesmen renewed their long-standing rivalry after a two-year hiatus on Tuesday night. Cornell came away with a 15-12 win at home to move to 3-0 on the season.

Hobart took a 2-0 lead at the end of the first quarter, led 5-4 at the half, and ended the game on a five-goal run, but it was ultimately a dominant 12-2 stretch from the final seconds of the first half through the 8:42 mark that proved to be the difference in the game and insure the Cornell win.

After their slow start, Cornell got two from CJ Kirst (3G/1A) early in the second quarter to get their wheels going. He added another on with 10 seconds left in the half while Aiden Blake got his first of the game on a man-up possession midway through the quarter.

In the second half, it was Billy Coyle that stepped up as the primary goal scorer for the Big Red as he had the first goal of the third quarter to knot things all up at 5 and then added three more in the fourth quarter to help the Big Red push their lead out even further.

Angelo Petrakis went 17-for-28 (60%) at the dot for Cornell and Chayse Ierlan made 10 saves in cage.

Cornell outshot Hobart 51-38 and put 28 of those shots on cage opposed to the Statesmen’s 22.

John Herlihy led Hobart with five points off four goals and an assist. Kevin Holtby made 13 saves in cage.

Other Scores

  • Richmond dominated St. Bonaventure 17-3.
  • Georgetown Routed Mount St. Mary’s 21-4.
  • Monmouth held off a late rally from Wagner to secure the 9-7 win.
  • Taylor Strough had five goals to help lead Fairfield past Sacred Heart 19-16.

One thought on “Tuesday Recap: Brown Holds Off Villanova Second-Half Comeback, Duke Tops High Point

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s